PILE INTEGRITY TESTING
Pile quality is often determined by performing a low strain integrity test directly after pile driving or within days after installation of cast-in-situ piles. Sonic Integrity Testing is a widely used method for testing the quality of concrete piles in a non-destructive way before they are incorporated in the final foundation plan.
The Profound SIT-series meets the constructions industry’s demand for professional Sonic Integrity Testing of concrete piles. With the Profound SIT-series you can verify the pile length and check the integrity of foundation piles on defects after installation. Testing can point out which piles require further examination.
The SIT-series has been optimised for use in the field as well as for advanced interpretation and efficient management of the measurement data in the office. The SIT models are robust, easily portable and user-friendly to operate at the construction site. One person can test numerous piles per hour.
- Available in three models: SIT, SIT+ and SITpro. Your choice depends on the usage frequency and measurement purpose.
- SIT-systems fully complies with ASTM Standard D5882-16, EA Pfähle 2012, CUR-Aanbeveling 109:2013, AFNOR NF P 94-160-2 and NF P 94-160-4.
- Optimal user-friendliness in the field: each SIT consists of an acceleration sensor, hammer, cables and robust data acquisition and signal processing unit including full colour screen. The SIT with accompanying items are easily carried thanks to the robust, weather-resistant case.
- The SIT-system shows up the measurement signal directly on the full colour screen, in order to verify on the spot that tests have been performed correctly. It is up to the user how many signals are stored per pile.
- A signal can be stored, viewed on the system itself later on (for verification the pile has been checked).
- After data transfer via USB, the full data analysis and report is done with the SIT PC software.
- Accurate testing. The unit has been equipped with a 24 bit A/D converter for optimum measurement signal processing, which benefits the accuracy and facilitates any further interpretation.
- Reliable. Results can be optimally reproduced.
- Expert dedicated Windows software allows for data into professional pile charts. Reporting and analysis software are tailored to your requirements including pile average on screen and in print, image copy or *.pdf report.
The Wave Hammer is a new accessory for the Profound SIT-series. With a SIT system you can accurately and efficiently verify the integrity of foundation piles after installation.
For piles with a diameter larger than 50 cm you can use one of the Wave Hammers to perform the pile test. With its unique drop-catch design the Wave Hammer generates a constant, highly repeatable wave in the pile. The Wave Hammer generates the optimal duration of the impact wave for maximum visibility of pile defects. The standard smaller hammers generate a blow which is too short for optimal resolution. Profound introduces 3 Wave Hammer models to cover a range of large diameter piles.
The Profound mounted accelerometer for the SIT-series has been designed for high-performance integrity testing for large diameter bored piles. This sensor enables optimal circumstances to perform measurements with Wave Hammers or instrumented hammers.
The SIT-mounted sensor is an alternative to the hand-held sensor whereby the sensor is fixed on the pile head using a separate mounting plate. One or more mounting plates must be mounted on the pile head prior to the actual measurement. During the measurement the rigid connection between the sensor and pile head ensures optimal high-quality measurement results. The sensor registers the response to the hammer blow exceptionally well. Thus providing users with accurate information about the pile shaft, stiffness and possible defects.
The measurement is performed by hitting the pile head with a hand-held hammer and measuring the response on the head with the sensitive and lightweight SIT -accelerometer. The SIT presents a measurement signal directly on screen, enabling a direct check of the quality of the measurement.
If approved, measurement signals are stored in the unit with additional information such as pile number, area, date and time stamp, gain and filter settings and notes. For each pile multiple signals should be acquired for proper evaluation. For further analysis, interpretation and validation the measurements are downloaded via USB to a Windows computer .
Sonic Integrity Testing (SIT) is a widely used measurement method to check the integrity of concrete foundation piles. This Low Strain Impact Test is a quick non-destructive method to reduce the risk upon failure of concrete cast-in-situ or prefab piles. With a Profound SIT system you check the pile shaft for defects or irregularities. Measurements can indicate whether the foundation pile will be capable of passing on the load to the bearing layers.
The main goal of Profound Academy SIT course is to teach and further train in the use of the Profound SIT-series, in processing and analysing measurement signals including an introduction to the basic principles of low strain integrity testing.
Attendees will be able to perform Sonic Integrity Testing of piles in a professional way making the most of the technique and the system.
During the SIT course the course instructor will cover the theory behind Sonic Integrity Testing, how to optimally work with the SIT system in full compliance with the main codes, and will discuss interpretation guidelines and reporting on measurement signals.